Heavy rains, floods and landslides have killed 31 people, injured nine and left five missing in Indonesia and its border region of East Timor. The Indonesian Meteorological Agency said the disaster was caused by a cyclone in the Java Sea.
The cyclone has started after midnight on Saturday. The eastern Indonesian island of Flores and Adonara have been hit by the disaster. Raditya Jati, a spokeswoman for the country’s disaster management agency BNPB, said on Sunday that “23 people have been reported dead and five are missing in the village of Lamanelle on Flores Island.” All the 49 families living in the village have been affected. The houses in the village are submerged in water and mud. ‘
Rescue workers are working to evacuate Lamanel residents, Raditya said. He added that there were no reports of injuries or deaths on Adorana Island.
‘A bridge in Adorana has collapsed due to heavy rains, wind gusts and waves. However, no casualties have been reported so far.
Meanwhile, hostile weather and landslides have killed six people in an area near Delhi, the capital of Indonesia’s neighboring East Timor.
Joaquim Gusmao, the minister in charge of the country’s civil protection ministry, said firefighters had already begun the rescue operation.
“Rescue efforts are prioritizing the evacuation of the elderly, children and pregnant women,” he said.
He added that floodwaters had already flooded the president’s residence and power supply had been cut off in most parts of the country due to inclement weather.
However, the Indonesian Meteorological Department said the disaster was unlikely to end soon. The latest bulletin from the department said on Sunday that the disaster was caused by a cyclone in the southern Indonesian state of Nusa Tenggara and on the north coast of East Timor. It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the area.
‘There are no signs of the cyclone weakening. For this reason, the residents of the affected areas are being urged to take utmost precaution and move to a safe place quickly.
Zayadi / SI
To deal with the second wave of coronavirus infections, the government is temporarily imposing a one-week ‘strict ban in the form of a lockdown’. After a high-level meeting on Saturday, it was reported that a proposal with several recommendations in this regard was being sent to the Prime Minister. If the Prime Minister agrees, a notification may be issued on Sunday. And the ban will be effective from Monday.
Earlier, Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader said that a lockdown was being announced again to deal with the infection. Then State Minister for Public Administration Farhad Hossain also gave such a hint.
After that there was a great curiosity among the people as to what was going to happen. Like last time, all the holidays will be given, or something new will happen. Acquaintances from the media office, journalists and secretariat officials want to know the government’s decision by phone. But the final decision of the government was not known till the time of writing this report at 7.30 pm yesterday.
Speaking at a press conference at his official residence in Dhaka yesterday, Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader said, “The government has decided to lockdown across the country for a week from Monday due to increased coronavirus infection.” The details of what will be open and what will be closed will be known in the announcement of the government.
On the other hand, in a video message sent to the media from his Bailey Road home, State Minister for Public Administration Farhad Hossain said that only factories outside the emergency services will remain open. The workers will work according to the shift according to the hygiene rules.