The attack on Iran’s Natanz nuclear plant took place. Tehran condemned the attack on Sunday, calling it a terrorist attack. Ali Akbar Salehi, head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization (AEOI), blamed the attack on the Natanz nuclear plant. CNN quoted the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as saying. However, Iran has not explicitly blamed anyone for the incident. A day earlier, Iran unveiled new nuclear enrichment equipment.
Ali Akbar Salehi said in his speech, “These actions against the Natanaz Atomic Enrichment Center prove the defeat of the opponents of the country’s industrial and political achievements who want to stop the significant development of the nuclear industry.”
Referring to Iran’s nuclear deal with the world power in 2015, Ali Akbar Salehi said that the sabotage was carried out by those who opposed the lifting of US sanctions on Iran. Salehi condemned the “nuclear terrorism” against Iran and called on the international community and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to take action against it.
Meanwhile, Israeli media outlet Cannes Public Radio quoted the country’s intelligence source as saying that the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad had launched a cyber attack on Iran’s nuclear plant and shut down the plant’s activities. However, Israel has not officially commented on the attack.
Earlier on Sunday, AEOI spokesman Behrouz Kamalwandi told Iran’s Fars news agency that there were “problems” with the power connection to the plant, 318 kilometers south of the capital Tehran. However, he said there were no casualties or environmental pollution.
In July last year, a huge fire broke out at the Natanz nuclear plant. However, no casualties were reported. Iran has called the attack “subversive” and said the role of “internal spies” in the attack was highly questionable. However, Iranian authorities did not provide any details.
Malek Shariati Niasa, a member of Iran’s parliament, described Sunday’s incident as “seriously suspicious” in a tweet, expressing concern over possible “sabotage and intrusion” into the country’s nuclear facilities. He said members of the Iranian parliament were trying to find out the details of the incident.
Meanwhile, an IAEA spokesperson said, “We are aware of the media reports. We have no comment at this stage.